Monday, October 13, 2008

I think that ThinkDots is a tiered activity because the teacher determines the students readiness levels, interests, and learning profiles. With Multiple-Entry Journals activity I'm trying to understand what the teacher would get from this. Unless you read the students entry I don't think you could assess what their readiness levels were or their understanding of the content. Just reading a chapter and writing in their journal doesn't tell the teacher anything. You need to have an activity about what they read that is challenging and engaging.

3 comments:

Teacherheart said...

Take a closer look at the different tasks a teacher has the students DO in their journals. Wouldn't this be "pro-active" teaching of specific processes the teacher wants the students to engage in? Wouldn't it be good teaching for a teacher to pre-assess with some kind of writing sample, and then know the readiness levels of their writing well enough to TIER what she requires them to write in their journals? I think the way you were talking about it assumes that you would use this to assess their writing.... and you CAN do that... but what about giving them tiered learning experiences with writing? Do you think this strategy would work?

Apryl Beck said...

You are absolutely right. I did take a closer look and I think that I could pre-assess the students with a writing sample. I always learn so much from you Nancy. Thanks for your comments.

Teacherheart said...

You already have a sense of all of this stuff... I just make you put it into different words!